You might only think of toadies in winter, but why wouldn’t you add this to your recipe repertoire for mid-week meals throughout the year? If you fancy a lighter touch to this classic dish, you can’t go wrong with Richmond’s new chicken sausage launch – definitely lighter, but still with that comforting tummy hug.
Richmond worked with Masterchef Winner, Angellica Bell to add an extra little bit of zing to this family favourite, with lemon and rosemary to complement the new chicken sausages.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
For the batter:
150g plain flour
4 medium eggs
180 ml milk
1 tsp chopped rosemary
Few gratings of lemon zest
For the filling:
1 pack Richmond chicken sausages
2 tbsp vegetable oil
100g broccoli florets trimmed and cut into bitesize pieces
100g frozen peas (thawed in cold water)
- Preheat the oven to 220c. Start by making the batter. Whisk all the ingredients in a bowl with a big pinch of salt until smooth. Place in the fridge to rest.
- Pour the oil in to a large ceramic roasting tray. Toss in the sausages and stir to coat. Place into the oven and cook for 15 minutes, turning half way.
- Steam the broccoli until cooked.
- Remove the sausages from the oven and add all the vegetables to the tray and give everything a quick stir.
- Pour the batter over the vegetables and sausages and quickly return the tray to the oven. Bake for 35-40 minutes until the batter is puffed and golden.
- Remove the Toad in the Hole from the oven and allow to sit for a moment. Serve with your favourite gravy!