In this heat we’re hardly having suppers, just light salads, but we are craving cakes and desserts. If you can stand the heat of the kitchen, use raspberries from your garden or your latest forage to make this delicious vegan delight.
Huge thanks to Niki Webster, founder of RebelRecipes.com (your source for lots of tasty vegan recipes), for giving us this delicious recipe and, since it takes only 20 minutes to prep, you can even make it on a school night.
20 minutes preparation time
40 minutes cook time
For the tart base:
2 tbsp ground flaxseed
4 tbsp filtered water
1/2 cups ground almonds – or whole almonds ground in a mini chopper/blender or grinder 1 cup gluten free oat flour – or flour of choice; wholemeal, buckwheat, white
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp coconut sugar
1 1/2 tbsp neutral oil – I used rapeseed
3 tbsp almond milk
For the filling:
2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax & 6 tbsp water – mix in a bowl and leave for few minutes)
3/4 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup dairy free butter
2 tsp almond extract extract
2 cups ground almonds
2 tbsp buckwheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
zest 1/2 lemon
To make the tart:
1 – 2 tbsp raspberry jam of choice
1 cup raspberries
Handful flaked almonds
To make the filling:
1. Make up the flaxeggs and allow to stand for a few minutes
Cream together the butter, sugar and almond essense. Stir in the flax eggs
2. In a large bowl mix ground almonds, buckwheat and baking powder. Transfer the butter mix to the dry ingredients. Mix together to combine thoroughly. Mix in the lemon zest.
To make the tart:
1. Firstly make the almond meal by adding the nuts to a mini chopper or blender and blitzing until you get a fine meal. Or use pre ground almonds.
2. Make the flax egg by mixing the ground flax and water in a bowl – set aside to thicken.
3. Grease a round loose bottom pie pan with oil.
4. Add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix to combine. Then add in the oil, almond milk
and flax egg. Mix throughly to form a dough.
5. Transfer the dough to the pie pan and use your fingers to press into the bottom and up the sides.
Poke a few holes with a fork across the bottom.
6. Bake tart for 10 minutes on Gas mark 4/180c. Remove from the oven. Allow the tart base to cool a
7. Layer the jam across the bottom of the tart then add in the frangipane filling. Top with raspberries
and press in a little.
8. Sprinkle a few flaked almonds.
9. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until your filling is set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool a before
removing the tart pan.
10. Delicious served warm with vegan Icecream or cold with a cup of tea.