We love plums and currently you can enjoy South African Flavor King plums in UK supermarkets until the end of April. Hunt them down and make this wonderful plate of delish.
The Flavor King plum is the highlight of the South African stone fruit season. It’s a unique hybrid between a red plum and an apricot, with a sweet bubblegum flavour.
3 South African Flavor King Plums
Zest of 1/2 an orange
1 tbsp. brown sugar
A sprig of fresh thyme
2 tbsp. soft goats’ cheese
1 tbsp. natural yoghurt
2 slices of brioche, lightly toasted
Honey to drizzle
Fresh pea shoots or rocket
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/ 200C fan.
2. Half and de-stone the Flavor King plums and lay skin side down onto a baking tray.
3. Scatter over the orange zest and add a sprinkle of brown sugar into the middle of each plum.
4. Scatter with fresh thyme and add a splash of water to the pan to stop the bottoms burning.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes until soft and lightly golden.
6. In a bowl, combine the goats’ cheese and natural yoghurt and beat until smooth.
7. Spread generously over the toasted brioche and top with the baked plums, adding three halves per piece of brioche.
8. Drizzle honey over the toasts and top with fresh pea shoots or rocket. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and serve warm.
From Milly’s Real Food by Nicola “Milly” Millbank is available nationwide, HQ/HarperCollins £20.